Do you think that I should signup for the competition? I get this question all the time. The only thing I can say is yes! The perfect time to compete will never be there.
When I competed for the first time I was already a blue belt. I should have done it as a white belt. Instead of waiting to be in better shape, more technical and all the other things that went though my mind. As one of the first blue belts in Denmark and the first in the academy, I felt more pressure to succeed. I was so nervous, before that competition. Could not eat and had to go to the bathroom all the time.
So to all the white belts out there, go sign up. If there is such a thing, as a perfect time to compete. It is as a white belt, don’t wait until you have trained for years. No one expect anything from you, but you might surprise yourself. There are so many things you can learn from competing, that you can’t learn at the academy.
Here are some of the things that you will get out of competing, other than get a medal around your neck:
- Meet new friends. There is no better way to break the ice, than try to kill each other for 5 minutes
- It is a great place to test what you have learned
- Find your strength and weaknesses
- Getting out of your comfort zone. To evolve as a person, you have to get out of your comfort zone
- Self control. Slowly you will learn how to control your nerves, before the competition. Some people learn this faster than others. But one thing is for sure, everybody is nervous to some degree. If there were nothing at stake everybody would do it
- Remember, most likely nobody is watching your match. So don’t let that stop you
- Win or loose. I guarantee that you will learn something
- Properly the worst thing that can happen, is that you loose the match. But in failure we have the opportunity to make changes
If it is your first competition, don’t over think it. Just make sure that you show up on time, make weight and most of all, that you have fun doing it! You might even like it
As with any skill you have to practice, and with competing there is only one way, you have to compete. You might not win the first time, but one thing is for sure you will never win if you don’t try.
If you decide to go and compete, then promise me this. Don’t warm up with shadow boxing. It aint that kind of fight. Thank you 🙂
Always keep learning! Never stop!